Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Reno Time OVER


Well, it was a long six weeks, but it's over. You must know by now that Mike was in Reno, NV for the last 6 weeks attending the Maynard Institute's Journalism & Editing Program ... well, he's home. Early yesterday morning I loaded up DJ & El, telling them (really only DJ) that we had a long drive but at the end he'd get a great surprise. Then we drove up to Christiansburg, Va. where Mike had spent Sunday night (after flying into Philadelphia to meet the guys for a day game Sunday afternoon) with our friends, Bridget & Chris. The whole way there, between telling me about LOTR (which we've only seen, oh,a million times), DJ was asking me what his surprise was ...
"an Anakin Skywalker? I've always wanted an Anakin Skywalker ..."
"a speedracer? I've always wanted a speedracer just like Brayson's ..."
"the white TransFormer? Are we going to McDonald's to get the last one?"
"some new crayons?"
"a horse? Mommy, did you get me a horse? I see you laughing ... you did! You did get me a horse!"
and on and on ...
The drive was really not bad as far as 4 hour drives go. Once you get out of Charlotte ... Lake Norman is a beautiful area, but the traffic is yuck. From Statesville (about the mid-point) on, the scenery is beautiful and not at all boring (not that driving on I-26 to the beach or Columbia, ahem, is boring). The drive into Virginia is green, hilly, lots of pretty rivers (I always feel at home when I'm crossing the Pee Dee!!) & lakes, & lots of cows ...
We got to Chris & Bridg's right at 12:30 ... Mike was peeking out the window, so I got DJ out of the car, covered his eyes & told him his surprise would come outside to him ... when I took my hands away, he squealed & jumped into Mike's arms. As I stood there smiling, DJ peeked his head up long enough to say, "Mommy, I knew my Daddy was my surprise!" Then he got back in the car, ready to drive home with his surprise!

Then we had the luxury of having lunch with Bridg (sandwiches ordered from & delivered by Jimmy John's - next we'll know to split one!!) and then the boys got play, while El tried desperately to get in on that action. We had a short but nice visit with Bridg (Chris wasn't able to make it home) but the boys enjoyed playing together for the most part. We finally loaded up and headed home at about 4:30 ... DJ asked as we were pulling out of the driveway, "When can I come back to play again with Charlie & Jackson?" ... so hopefully a lengthier visit is in our future. We stopped at Julie's brother-in-law's Chic-Fil-A in Statesville and were home by 10 p.m.

So, a long (but well worth it) drive for a great surprise.

And one more thing. Are you reading this? I don't have a "counter" that lets me know that people are reading this (probably using it as a sleep-medicine, but still) ... if you feel like it, let me know. And "hi" to Angie, who is reading this & making me feel really nice.

Signing off ...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey...I'm reading...just happened upon your blog by chance...enjoyed reading...lovely family...

You mentioned the Pee Dee and Columbia areas...where are you from? I'm in Florence....

tracEy said...

I'm reading you brooke! I feel like I can hear you talking as I'm reading everything you write - it's neat.
You're one of the people I've missed the mostest since high school and dang it, you're just across town. so wow, I should just email you and do something about that!
Tracey (simpson) Haynes