Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Catching UP

Well, while Mike has been busy blogging about BigFoot & Olympic Trampoline, I have not been busy blogging. At all. I have been busy getting prepared and through the first days of taking DJ to school, ironing clothes, folding clothes, avoiding cleaning the kitchen at all costs (I'd post a pic, but you'd call DHEC, and then where would we live?), I've been especially busy praying for friends who need/want/deserve/don't deserve (ha!)/don't want prayer, praying for my family & my children, first soccer practices, budgeting, and all manner of things that are required of me/us weekly/daily/hourly! So, here I am to catch up. So how are you guys? What's new? What's boring? Here's the recap for the last um ... month ...

Well, you know Mike is home. And as much as I'm so thankful that he's home, he ruined the schedule we'd finally adopted. El didn't remember him, DJ missed him so much he could hardly sleep for wanting to tell him all the great stuff we did (and didn't) do while he was gone. Then Caroline had surgery ... and on & on. And finally, we were back on a schedule, even if it did involve El screaming at Mike from around Noon until I got home around 3.

And let me just say, the whole house has suffered for it. No, I don't mean the people of the house - I literally mean the physical house. Mike & I are super, highly allergic (think shots, antibiotics, oatmeal baths - for up to 6 weeks the last time) to Poison Oak, Sumac, Ivy ... any thing with a rhyme reminding you not to touch it. So we can't weed-eat (not that either of us really want to), we can't weed the flower beds, we can't cut grass under the trees ... I hope you're getting the idea. Our yard is barely getting basic care until fall when all the "poisons" die down. And did I mention the kitchen? yuck.

But it's finally all coming back together, which is why you've not seen hide nor hair of me for, oh, a while.

Last week we registered DJ for 5K. WOW. This involved a trip to his school to meet the teacher, fill out endless paper work, check out the school (ie: see the cafeteria) and an almost unsuccessful search for the perfect lunchbox (ie: StarWars). And did I mention the school supplies? Notebooks, crayons, scissors, erasers, writing tablet, gluesticks, pencils ... But we got it all (thanks to my Mom, who searched tirelessly for the lunchbox that we were unsuccessful in finding) ... and then we got ready for school. 5K is an all day thing, if you didn't know. It involves having the right shoes for the right day (PE 2 days a week requires tennis shoes), it involves getting up early (6:10) and leaving an hour later to get there on time, it involves knowing your letters & numbers, who has the most & best video games (not us, since I'm actively boycotting the purchasing of any games or game systems), who has the best toys (possibly us since my mother & mother-in-law keep DJ stocked in all things Lego, Star Wars, Power Rangers, SpiderMan, Speedracer ... you get the idea).

And yesterday was the big day. Mike & El slept in while DJ & I got up at 6 for a leisurely breakfast (he requested chicken & rice, and so that's what he had) ... we headed out the door at 7:20 and after 10 minutes waiting in the carpool line, it was our turn. I was ready to park & walk him, but he said, "No, Mama. I remember where it is." And so, out he climbed, Star Wars lunchbox proudly clutched in his hand and off he went with a little wave. I laughed, and that kept me from crying.

And did I mention soccer? Yep. Soccer. I love volleyball, I know basketball; Mike loves baseball & football & Olympic Trampoline. But neither of us know soccer. So what, you ask, are the two of us doing coaching soccer? Well, I'll tell you. We're being laughed at by other parents, by children, by college athletes passing by. But by George, we're having fun. And really, that's what it's all about - or so the other parents laughingly tell us. Good thing no one actually expects their kids to learn anything this season. And if they do, thank goodness for Joe (one of the laughing parents) who not only has played soccer, has actually coached and taught us some drills. Thankfully, we expect him to be at every practice.

Okay ... so now it's time for prayer requests as I close out this post ... it's a long list, so bear with me ...
  • Pray for me. I covet your prayers & here's what I ask that you pray for: patience & a willing spirit to clean my house (that's not a joke), better budgeting of my time & self-control;
  • Pray for Mike. He loves his job and has so much integrity for journalistic endeavors, but it's a stressful world right now; pray for him as a Dad & a coach, for patience and gentleness in modeling Fatherhood to our children;
  • Pray for our children, DJ & El, that the favor of God & men will be on them, that they will know the Holy Spirit, that they will be friends & compassionate towards one another and others;
  • Pray for my Mom, Beth. She teaches 5k - need I say more? She's also a full-time parent to my 4 & 1/2 year old nephew;
  • Pray for my Dad, Jimmy. He's a banker, a golfer, a grandfather & father, and caretaker over our whole family, still. And did I mention the full-time parenting of a certain 4 & 1-2 year old? He lives and breathes stress;
  • Pray for my nephew, Brayson. He started 4k yesterday;
  • Pray for Emily, who began her teaching career today as a Christian Education teacher;
  • Pray for Bert & Bethany, who are trying to sell their home & get established in a new place;
  • Pray for Adrian & Lyn, who are parents to 4 precious children (triplets & an older sibling!) as they go back to work & start a new job;
  • Pray for Stacie, who began her teaching career yesterday, 4th grade;
  • Pray for Michelle & Jason as they seek God's place for them;
  • Pray for Angie, who is expecting in a sweet baby girl in Sept.;
  • Pray for Daniel, as he takes over the duties as Area Director of Young Life, Aiken, looking for a church, grown-up friends, and high school friends;
  • Pray for Tara, whose ankle is still sore from a nasty break & as she goes back to teaching this Fall;
  • Pray for Brittany, who started her Senior Year of high school;
  • Pray for rain as we endure a drought; pray for gentleness, kindness, wisdom for friends, family and those of you who stopped by to read this blog; Pray for people I may not always have warm thoughts toward & pray for leadership at all levels ...

And since you're so kind to pray for me & mine, will you let me pray for you? Be specific so that I can pray for you & yours (you can post your reqeusts in the comments section, or e-mail me at b.jonesmccombs@gmail.com).

And those are the things & people I can think of right now ... so, when you pray be reminded that "the Spririt helps us in in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" Romans 8:26 (NIV).

I'll post some pictures soooooooon ... XO!

No comments: