Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I'm not witty enough to bother with cutesy blog entry titles

These pics have nothing to do with this post - I just like throwing in random pictures. To the left is Dylan (center, with Bunny Ears!) with friends Charlie and Jake. Below is Ella J enjoying a chair of just the right size - before she took over the kiddie pool with her maniacal ways. More to come ...










And now, for the actual post ...

Yesterday I read the blog(s) of a friend of Mike's from Clemson. He had told me that part of her blogroll is entitled: Parent Bloggers Who Don't Make Me Gag (please note that Mike's blog is one of these), which I thought was pretty witty, so had decided two things: 1) not to like her (because, duh, she’s witty & also, she has great hair) and 2) that I must read her blog. You see, I am not witty, but I have grand desires of acquiring a witty-ness that will draw people to me and cause them to relate tales of my witty-ness to the world at large. Alas, I am that person who reacts in one of two (unfortunate) ways in almost any situation ...


Either: Not knowing what to say or how to stop talking, I continue to talk ala Joe Biden (aka: Diarrhea of the Mouth) or Not knowing what to say, stand there, mouth agape with no response. And later I find myself saying to Mike: “I had a bad case of Open Mouth, Insert Foot today when …” (he usually cringes upon hearing this) or; saying “so-and-so said blah blah today… I just thought of what I should have said. Should I call them and say it now?” On the plus side, I am not Joe Biden and cameras don’t generally catch my open-mouth, insert foot debacles. On the down side, I am destined to re-live these awful moments until my death or my memory is shot, whichever comes first.


Only once in the last year do I recall Mike applauding my quick-thinking response to some situation at the appropriate time, and it wouldn’t make sense to anyone else so I don’t even get to relate the story. See, unfortunate. (But it had to do with the CIA and a new face, so maybe you can make your own witty joke?)


In light of all that, it makes perfectly good sense that in a desire to become witty I would opt to read the blogs of already witty people. It stands to reason that their witty-ness will rub off on me (or, better for the lazy me, I’ll be able to plagiarize their wit and no one will be the wiser). And so off to the witty blog I went… prepared to dislike witty blog-writer girl, but being honest enough to know that I need what she’s got.

Alas, Witty Blog Girl made me laugh. A lot. She and her husband are expecting their first child (congrats!) and she’s done a great job of writing about being married, pregnancy and all that comes with it in a way that makes you think, "Gosh, I like this girl. She makes me laugh."

So I said to Mike yesterday, “Do you think it’s at all weird that I want to be her friend?”

His response? “Oh, this can’t be good for me”.


…So, here , have some fun. And be jealous of fabulous hair.


xo




No comments: