Friday, June 27, 2008

Girls Night Out

Ah ... snuggly Friday morning spoiled by vicious attack of sleeping Mommy by early-rising 6 month old. That's right ... I was ready for a snuggling, sleeping in kind of morning, instead I woke to DJ laughing maniacally and saying, "Mommy, Elly Belly's not sleeping" ... this is only funny because: How could I possibly miss the 15 lbs. of unbridled 6-month old beating me about the head, gumming on my face and tearing out wads of hair, all while laughing hysterically? I can only describe the attack like this: If you've watched Animal Planet (and I have) you'll have seen the Beach Master Walruses attacking the young males who've foolishly tried to take over their territories. The Beach Masters (who have no arms or legs, remember) rear back, upper bodies lifted up & then, BAM! They slam their entire upper body into the Would-Be Usurper. This is what I woke to this morning, on a much smaller scale, of course. And so, after prying baby hands out of my hair, we opted for a good morning date at Strawberry Hill U.S.A. for breakfast. Yum. We had lots to do today, so we didn't make it down to the Peach Shed for fresh stuff, but we had freshly-sliced cantaloupe with our biscuits and we'll be back soon ... we always are ...

So, then it was time to run errands ... what a day, what a day ...

But the day ended almost as well as it started, if you can compare being attacked by your sweet, sweet baby to Girls Night Out! After helping my sister-in-law, Michele, do some housework (she's recovering from a c-section - see the pic of new addition, Caroline), I ran home to check on DJ & pick-up Elly Belly (both of whom spent the afternoon napping at my sister's house). DJ had big spend the night plans with his Boppy & Gam, so Elly Belly got to go on Girls Night Out. We went and picked up my good friend Julie, and headed to the mall where we bought absolutely nothing, questioned the sanity of the fashion world (honestly, have you seen some of the things that are supposed to be fashionable?) and just gabbed. Then we had dinner, where we gabbed some more & had an overly attentive waitress. So here's to you, Julie - you're well on your way to the #1 spot and you've made it to my blog (haha!!). And here's a question: If you're waiting on a table (or whatever) in restaurant (or whereever) and you see either an older person, expectant mother, or mother with small baby, do you offer them your seat? I ask because Julie & I talked about that as we stood, me holding Elly Belly in her carrier carseat, while we waited for about 15-20 minutes. Several young (30-40-ish) men were seated while also waiting for their table(s) while we and other older ladies (over 60) stood. We both agreed that our own husbands would've happily given up their seats in the same situation, but what do others think/do? None of the men offered seats to either me or Julie, or to any of the older ladies also waiting. I know, I know - rambling ...

After checking on DJ (he opted to stay "all night"), Elly Belly & I came home, got in our jammies and snuggled. Now she's sleeping soundly in her crib with her lovey lamb (thank you, Chris, Bridget, Charlie & Jackson!!), and I've checked e-mail, my favorite blogs, on-line banking ... and there's the doorbell. Dad (a.k.a. Boppy) just brought DJ home - he wanted to snuggle with me. Sweet, sweet boy ...

So, only 16 days until Mike is home ... until then, you might be interested in reading the Editing Program's blog (he posted on 6/27) & I'm signing off ... night, night ...

No comments: